LOOKING FOR SOMETHING?

Looking for a specific article? Check out the links on the left-hand navigation, or use our handy search function--found at the top left of the page.

Monday, June 16, 2008

School of Mass Comm welcomes Soo Yeon Hong

Part of what makes Virginia Commonwealth University and the School of Mass Communications great is its experienced and diverse faculty. The school takes pride in hiring qualified faculty to educate the continuously growing number of students. Dr. Soo Yeon Hong is one of the newest assistant professors to be added to the School’s faculty.

Hong, who joins the School on Aug. 15, said, “I'm very excited to join the faculty at the School of Mass Communications in Virginia Commonwealth University and to teach students at VCU. I've taught students before but this is huge! Many of my friends here in Syracuse told me that Richmond is a very historic city. But with so much energy coming from the students, the professors, VCU, and the city, I felt like I was in a very young city when I was there for an interview last fall.”

Hong received her PhD in May 2008 from the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University. She obtained a master’s degree in television, radio and film in May of 2005 and a master’s in magazine journalism in December of 2000, both from Syracuse. She also has a bachelor’s degree in Spanish language and literature from Hankook University of Foreign Studies in Seoul, Korea.

“I've always followed my heart which led me to explore wonderful professions and education--public relations, graphic design, research, magazine journalism, film, marketing--as well as great parts of the world--Spain, Indonesia, Japan, New York City, Syracuse, and Alabama, “ Hong said.

Hong began her teaching experience as a guest lecturer at Syracuse University. She quickly moved up the ladder to become a lab instructor and then a teaching assistant. After that she became an adjunct professor, teaching Introduction to the Graphic Arts and Visual Communication Theory and Practices.

“At VCU, I want my diverse experience to create useful, relevant lessons that kindle and affirm students' interest, and I want the work we do in the classroom to build students' confidence,” Hong said.

She was rated as one of the best Syracuse professors and classes in The Daily Orange, a student-run newspaper at Syracuse. Hong was also Mentor to a Syracuse University Scholar in 2006-2007. University Scholar is the highest honor given to an undergraduate.

Hong is excited about her new position, stating, “I can't wait to begin my journey in VCU.”